Monday 14 May 2012

Peacock.

Of all the blogs I read the one I return to constantly is 'My Marrakesh' written by Maryam Montague.
I got interested in this blog when I chose Morocco to research for my embroidery course in 2007.  Towards the end of the course I was required to make a 3D item and, at that time, inspired by all the lovely things Maryam was collecting for her Morrocan home, Peacock Pavilions, I decided I would make her a little book.
In my imagination I dreamed of visiting Marrakesh one day and delivering my gift in person.


my son takes the credit for this photo of a beautiful peacock

I've been following Maryam's progress as she's been writing her  first book,  'Marrakesh By Design'. It's just been published, but oh how I wish she'd written it a bit sooner ! It would have helped me a lot.

This was my design folder for the book and my small attempt at Moroccan design.

my design folder

the inspiration

Peacock Pavilions, a boutique hotel

designing the book cover

zellig tile work using metallic painted wallpaper

Moroccan lanterns


tassel made from peacock feathers

The pages of my book had little pockets for the embroidered inserts (below). All of these inserts incorporated a little bit of embroidery and my ideas on Moroccan design.

embroidered inserts for my book, inspired by Moroccan design
the finished book

Marrakesh By Design isn't out in the UK yet but it's coming soon and I can't wait!!!

1 comment:

Maryam in Marrakesh said...

This is so incredibly sweet of you! Thank you for the consideration and thought. Very touched!