Sunday 23 March 2014

Macaroons or Macarons?

"I saved you two macarons," my friend said when I called round.
"They came from Harrods."
"Ooh, lovely," I said.
"I had to eat them," she said, "You went off to England."
"I saved you the paper though," she said!

So I drooled over the piece of paper and thought about what might have been.

In Paris, the Laduree chain of pastry shops is famous for its macarons.


Then, last week, when I was in Sainsbury's I saw a macaroon kit.  
It got me thinking of the macaroons my mum used to make - they were almond with a cherry on the top - and the most exciting bit was eating the rice paper they were baked on.

I bought the kit.  As well as the kit I used two egg whites, 50gm butter and one tbsp milk.
I beat two egg whites until stiff then folded in the macaroon mix.
There was a paper piping bag supplied. It was all quite easy.
Put them into a cold oven then turn it up to 50C and leave 20 mins, then turn the oven up to 150C  and bake for another 15 mins.



When is a macaroon a macaron, and when did they get posh?
Here they are in the oven after the warming. 


And here they are after the baking.


Then I beat 50gm of butter and one tbsp milk with the icing mix.



                                               Sandwich them together. Then refrigerate .
Well, pleased to say they looked like the picture on the box.


             The macarons I've made are raspberry flavoured but look at the choice from Laduree.


Tonight's dessert.


I think my Sainsbury's kit is a macaron - not a macaroon as labelled.
Whatever!  They were really nice.

No comments: